My Course Wish List

Your list is empty.

Explore online education in Tennessee

Military/Veteran Students

Thank you for your service to our country!

The Veteran’s Affairs office at each TBR institution is anxious to assist veterans, reservists and their family members with applying for military benefits, managing deployments, and providing other administrative support for your enrollment in higher education.

Explore Your Options

Military Friendly/VETS Certification

     Many TBR institutions are on the Military Friendly® list and/or have received VETS Campus certification through the Tennessee Higher Education Commission. These designations are in recognition of the support and assistance each campus provides to veterans transitioning from military service to college enrollment.

Back to top

Steps to Claiming VA Benefits

You can assist in the timely processing of your claim for VA benefits by following the steps outlined below.  Depending upon your unique situation and the institution where you apply, some additional steps may be necessary.  Individuals on each campus will be available to advise and assist you every step of the way!

Step 1 – Find the G.I. Bill That’s Best for You
Information is available at ExploreVA
Step 2 – Apply for VA Educational Benefits
Processing time at the VA may take up to 90 days so apply early. The VA will back-pay benefits to the first day of classes. Visit the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, select “Apply for Benefits” and follow the instructions.
Step 3 – Submit a School Admissions Application
Select a school and complete the online application. First-time applicants are required to pay a one-time, non-refundable application Remember to declare your major when completing the admissions application! Only courses that apply toward graduation in your major can be certified to the VA for payment purposes. 
Step 4 – Request Documentation
  • Transcripts
    • Request that your official college, high school or GED transcripts be sent directly to the institution’s Admissions Office. Transcripts must be submitted from all postsecondary institutions attended regardless of whether VA benefits were received.
    • Request that your Joint Services Transcript (JST), which translates your formal military education and experience into civilian language, be sent directly to the institution’s  Admissions Office. 
  • Certificate of Eligibility (COE)
    • The VA will send you a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) outlining your benefits.  Submit a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) to the institution’s Financial Aid Office. Contact the VA should you have any questions regarding the Certificate of Eligibility.
  • Test Scores
    • Applicants under the age of 21 and/or specific program requirements must request official scores (SAT, ACT or COMPASS) be sent directly to the Office of Admissions.
  • Proof of Immunization
    • Students who are enrolling in online classes ONLY are exempt from submitting immunization records for MMR and Chickenpox. Your school may require completion of an exemption request form.  The form may also need to be updated and resubmitted each semester for which the exemption is being requested.
  • Proof of Citizenship / Lawful Presence
    • The Tennessee Eligibility Verification for Entitlements Act (EVEA) (TCA 4-58-101 et seq.) requires state public institutions of higher education to verify that persons seeking a “state public benefit” such as in-state tuition are either a “United States citizen” or “lawfully present” in the United States. The Act does not affect admissions, but rather it affects they fees you pay to attend school. Please visit this page for more information. Documents that you may submit to verify U.S. citizenship include:  valid driver’s license, an official birth certificate, valid, unexpired U.S. passport, certificate of citizenship or naturalization, etc.
Step 5 - Obtain Admissions Acceptance
The institution where you applied for admission will notify you regarding your acceptance.  Upon acceptance, they will inform you about NEXT STEPS.
Need Assistance?

Contact the Veterans Affairs Office or other designated school officials to begin the process of utilizing your educational benefits.

Back to top

Additional Resources

Department of Veteran Affairs – Provides answers to over 400 frequently asked questions.
Veterans Job Bank – A central source for job opportunities without having to visit multiple sites. Site is powered by the National Resource Directory (

Back to top